ISB 2014 Students' Spring Meeting, 8 - 9 May
The ISB 2014 Students' Spring Meeting took place on Thursday 8th and Friday 9th of May at Helsinki University's Tvärminne Zoological Station in Hanko.
Eric Carver: PhD Career Planning (PDF, 1 MB)
Carmela Kantor-Aaltonen: Finnish Bioindustries (PDF, 1.2 MB)
'Career development and opportunities after PhD'
Thursday, May 8th
- 8.00 Bus leaves from Helsinki Central Railway Station
- 8.20 Bus stops at Viikki Campus
- 8.45 Bus stops at Helsinki - Vantaa airport
- ca. 10.15 Bus stops at Karjaa railway station (train passengers from Turku)
- ca. 11.00 - 11.30 Arrival at Tvärminne
- 11.30 Lunch
- 12.30 Robert M. Badeau: "Finding the meaning to your project through all the mess"
- 14.00 Coffee break
- 14.30 Johanna Vuojola: "How to cope with the pressures of PhD studies"
- 15.15 Robert M. Badeau: "Finding the meaning to your project through all the mess" - Workshop
- 16.30 Dinner
- 17.30 - 18.00 Self assessment and exercises on career planning
- Free time
- 19.00 - 22.00 Sauna + makkara
Friday, May 9th
- 8.00 Breakfast
- 9.00 Robert M. Badeau: "Strategies to be productive to make effective articles and proposals - ways to persuade your reader and audience."
- 11.00 Coffee break
- 11.30 Eric Carver: "Self-assessment, decision-making process, goals setting"
- 12.30 Lunch
- 13.15 Eric Carver, continued: "Self-assessment, decision-making process, goals setting"
- 14.00 Carmela Kantor-Aaltonen, Director Finnish Bioindustries: "An introduction to Finnish Bioindustries"
- 15.00 - 15.30 Eric Carver: "Summary and comparison of academia and industry careers"
- 15.40 Bus departure from Tvärminne Zoological Station to Helsinki
- ca. 16.15 Karjaa railway station (departure for Turku)
- 17.45 Helsinki-Vantaa airport
- 18.15 University of Helsinki / Viikki Campus (Viikinkaari 3)
- 18.30 Helsinki Central Railway Station / Eliel Square
- Arafath Kaja Najumudeen, Åbo Akademi University
- Kornelia Mikula, University of Helsinki
- Katja Rosti, University of Helsinki