ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The exhibition section of the Sibelius museum is associated with the
musicological research department and archive of Åbo Akademi University, which is the only
Swedish language university in Finland.
The museum was founded in 1926 when Otto Andersson was appointed the first Professor of
Musicology and Folklore at Åbo Akademi University. In conjunction with the seminar library,
Professor Andersson collected material about musicology and the history of music, including
sheet music, musical instruments, letters and pictures. Thus emerged "The Collections of Musical History
at Åbo Akademi University", as they were called until 1949, when the name, with the consent of
Jean Sibelius, was changed into the Sibelius museum.
At first the museum was housed in different buildings in the university quarters, but since
the inauguration of the new building in 1968, the Sibelius museum has been were it is now.
From 1968 onwards, the museum has arranged a concert series in its concert hall, offering chamber
music performed by prominent musicians from both Finland and abroad.
The Sibelius museum is associated with the state owned Åbo Akademi University.
The exhibition and concert activities are privately funded through the Åbo Akademi Foundation.