Constitution of THE NORDIC ASSOCIATION FOR ENGLISH STUDIES
at the General Meeting of NAES,
I. Name and Purpose
(1) The society shall be known as the Nordic Association for English Studies.
(2) Its aims shall be
(a) to advance research and study in the Nordic countries of the English language and of Anglophone literatures and societies. It will seek to achieve this aim
(i) by arranging Conferences of English studies at regular intervals, and
(ii) by any other appropriate means as may be decided by the Association
(b) to affiliate to the European Society for the Study of English (ESSE) on behalf of members from any Nordic countries not otherwise so affiliated, and to nominate a representative (normally the President) to the Board of ESSE.
II. Membership and Subscription
Individual voting membership
in the Association is open to any person active in the field of English
studies in university-level departments responsible for the teaching of
(2) Departments responsible for the teaching of English who wish to be affiliated to ESSE through the Association shall be required to pay a block subscription on behalf of those working there. The amount of this subscription shall be fixed by the Committee. Members of NAES whose departments do not pay such a subscription will not be entitled to the privileges of membership of ESSE unless they pay an individual subscription to NAES for this purpose, or unless they are otherwise members of ESSE through a national association.
(3) The Association may also determine a subscription to be paid by other members or affiliates.
III. General Meetings
(1) General Meetings shall be held at each conference held by the Association.
(2) Decisions at a General Meeting shall be taken by a simple majority of members present and voting, except that a decision to dissolve the Association shall require a two-thirds majority of those present and voting.
(3) The quorum for a General Meeting shall be fifteen members with voting rights. A meeting which is not quorate may nevertheless advise the Executive Committee.
(4) The President and the Treasurer are each required to submit a report to the General Meeting on activities since the last General Meeting, and the meeting shall be invited to approve these reports. The Treasurer’s report shall include financial accounts for the period since the preceding General Meeting.
IV. The Executive Committee and Elections
(1) There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of at least five members, as fixed by a General Meeting. The members of the Committee shall include a President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and representatives of Nordic countries with their own national associations affiliated to ESSE (should the national associations wish to nominate such representatives). Each country participating in NAES shall have the right to be represented by a member of the committee.
(2) The representatives on the committee of countries with their own national associations shall be nominated by those associations. The institution which is to hold the next conference shall be entitled to nominate a representative on the committee, and that person shall be Vice-President of NAES. The election of other members of the Executive Committee shall take place at a General Meeting of the society.
(3) Both nominated representatives of national associations and other members of NAES may be elected by the General Meeting to any of the executive offices of President, Secretary and Treasurer.
(4) The members of the Executive Committee shall be elected to serve for the period between conferences. If any of the places on the committee are not filled by election at a General Meeting, or if members resign between meetings, the Committee shall have the power to co-opt replacement members if they deem it necessary.
(5) The Executive Committee is empowered to act on behalf of the Association and to implement the decisions of General Meetings as they see fit. Decisions of the Executive Committee shall be by a simple majority of those voting, except that a unanimous decision of the remaining members of the committee shall be required to dissolve the Association. Decisions of the committee may be taken by electronic communication and do not require a meeting at which members are physically present, but all members of the committee must be invited to vote on any decision of the committee.
(6) The General Meeting may instruct the Executive Committee in all matters, and the committee is duty-bound to carry out the instructions of a General Meeting as far as possible; nevertheless, the committee shall hold full executive power to act at their discretion as circumstances dictate.
(7) Decisions relating to affiliation and membership of ESSE shall be taken by those members of the committee from countries affiliated to ESSE through NAES. Other members of the committee may join in discussion on these matters but do not have voting rights. A separate accounting shall be kept by the Treasurer for funds from subscription payments from institutions affiliating to ESSE through NAES.
V. Emergency decision-making procedure
In the event that the decision making procedures of the Association have ceased to operate, for example by there being no remaining members of the Executive Committee, the running of the Association may be taken over by the Heads of the Departments paying block membership fees to the Association acting jointly.
VI. Dissolution of the Association
The Association may be dissolved by a two-thirds majority of a General Meeting, or by a nem. con. vote of the Executive Committee. In the event of the Association being dissolved, the Executive Committee shall dispose of any remaining funds owned by the Association in a manner which in their view will best further the aims of the Association, with the proviso that no such funds may be paid over to any individual or individuals for their personal benefit or use.